Monday, August 27, 2007

The House

Last week i read this really interesting book by DS. Yes i love reading romantic fiction, but this book was more about finding yourself than romance. I bought the book on the spot because after i read the story description i remembered i once had a strikingly similiar idea for a screenplay long back. The story about a woman going through a rough patch in her life and she stumbles upon a house, a big one which has remained unloved for years. A structure that wants to tell its own story to one who'd care to listen and restore it back to health. As she restores the house, she's able to restore her life and piece it back together by getting rid of what (and who) caused clutter in her life. The House by DS was on a subject very close to my heart and she did justice to the concept. I felt happy and hopeful that life is full of possibilities after reading the book. We just forget to be open to exciting possibilities - which Danielle Steele's books always remind me to be.

If you've ever seen the movie 'Under the Tuscan Sun', it too is a great story of a woman finding herself a villa in Tuscany. I've always wanted to own grand homes across the world (i still feverently do!). My fascination with homes could also do with the fact that my grandad owned a palatial mansion in Kuala Lumpur of which i have fond childhood memories. It was almost auctioned when i was 10 when my grandfather expired. It was 12 years later that i was able to set eyes on it again, when it belonged to someone else. It was painful to see but i was not without the desire of having it for my family again. Something always wants to relive former memories of glorious days which is why we keep going back, trying to pick up a piece of ourselves from a happy past.

2 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

When I browse a book in a bookshop I also immediately know that I HAVE to buy it.. no thinking twice! And there has never been a book that I've purchased but disliked...The House seems like an interesting story... and old possessions, be it a house or anything, are hard to forget but then we go on in life thinking that one day we may possess those belongings again...or something which is so good that it might take away the pain of that loss, not the memories though.
Happy Blogging!

Anonymous said...

Amen, your wishes will be consummated :)